Tomorrow is April Fools’ Day, the often overlooked and informal holiday that could be a barrel of laughs (with just minimal effort). This special day can be fun for all ages but is especially sweet if you have toddlers in the house. It’s also a good opportunity to teach your tots the value of a friendly, fun prank vs of a mean trick that leaves only the ‘trickster’ laughing.
Here is the MyCuriousPlanet quick list of toddler appropriate April Fools’ Day Tricks!
1) Green Eggs and Ham – Yup, this classic idea stems from the Dr Seuss book and is the first ‘prank’ I’m going to pull on my 3-year old tomorrow morning! I can already see his lil eyes bug out when I turn away from the stove with a loaded plate of green eggs and ham! Lol Because most toddlers love Dr Seuss, green eggs and ham for breakfast is one of the best toddler appropriate April Fools’ Day Tricks.
2) Monster Eyes Refrigerator – This is one of the best ideas I’ve come across on Pinterest this year, though I am adding horns and calling it a Monster Refrigerator for the fun of it. You basically just make 2 big eyes and horns from construction paper and stick them on the fridge. Then put lil wiggly or smaller construction paper eyes on everything in the fridge that’s on your toddler’s eye level. If you have the energy, add playdoh horns, too! I keep his yogurts, juice boxes, some fruit and cheese sticks all at his reach… imagine the giggles I’m going to get when he sees them staring back at him!
3) Crazy Ice Cream Pops – This is a toddler appropriate April Fools’ Day prank that will bring some ‘ewwwws’ into your life and have your kids laughing. Make some frozen ice cream pops but instead of putting the typical yummy fruits and chocolate in them, put crayons, toys, plastic bugs and such in them. Use your imagination and the toys/supplies you have at your disposal. Don’t forget to make a few yummy pops, too, though, or this prank will quickly lose its charm.
4) Frozen Morning Cereal or Lunch Soup – Since we’re doing the green eggs and ham for breakfast, I made soup today and have a bowl of it freezing right now, with the spoon sticking out! He’s going to try to eat it and won’t be able to budge the spoon. Hehe. This frozen soup or cereal idea is one that won’t work in future years, which makes it one of the best toddler appropriate April Fools’ Day Tricks!
5) Party Popper Doors – This would require some advanced planning (or access to a Chinatown since you can find poppers there year round) but wouldn’t it be fun to tape poppers on the doors of their room so that when they come out from naptime, they get confetti to rain down on them? J
6) Honk and Wave Sign – Put a big sign on the back of your car that says, “Wave and Yell ‘HI’ to ____ for April Fools’ Day!” and let your little one wonder why there are so many friendly people on the roads.
7) Dye Your Pet – Dying your pet can be a fun, safe toddler appropriate April Fools’ Day trick to play and will be the delight of the day… and err, weeks after, if the dye doesn’t wash out. Hehe. If you are careful to only use pet-safe dyes and treat your furry best friend with gentle respect while you’re doing it, dying your pet can be a fun annual tradition for April Fools’ Day! (Not all pets may be good candidates for this but you know your pet best and should make the call.)
Many of these toddler appropriate April Fools’ Day tricks will also work on the adults in your house, office or neighborhood. Have fun and keep it safe this April Fools’ Day. And remember, this day is a good opportunity to teach the value of a friendly, fun prank vs of a trick that only the ‘tricker’ thinks is funny.
Do you have more Toddler Appropriate April Fools’ Day tricks to share? We’d love to hear them in the comments below!