Grownups are often looking for ways to encourage and inspire children to think outside the box and take calculated risks. These kid approved travel quotes are quick, fun ways to start the mind thinking about the world outside.
Traveling with kids is both fun and educational. There are many lessons delivered in the packing and planning work, during the vacation and after your head hits your own pillow when the traveling is over. Here are a few travel quotes, to get you and the family ready for the stages of your next big adventure.
- “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” ~John A. Shedd.
Use: When said with a smile, this quote provides gentle encouragement for a child (or adult) to leave their comfort zone… whether it’s from your side at the park, going off to college, or making the most of their gap year.
- “There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million.” ~Walt Streightiff
Use: Both parents and kids should take a moment and realize all the amazing parts of a trip to local beach or an adventure to Central America. It’s about much more than arriving at the attraction.
- “The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.” – Rudyard Kipling
Use: Understand that educating through books is great but is much different than being there.
- “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~Saint Augustine
Use: This may help families realize that leaving the comfort of your own area will give a broader understanding of the world they live in.
- “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” – Aldous Huxley
Use: Do not let fear determine your decisions… in anything, especially traveling.
- “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware. ~Martin Buber
Use: Be aware that there is much more to a trip than what you plan to see!
- “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” ~Lin Yutang
Use: Sometimes, rougher travel cannot be fully appreciated until you are at home, reflecting on it from the comforts of your own home.
- “I am a passionate traveler, and from the time I was a child, travel formed me as much as my formal education.” – David Rockefeller
Use: Education takes many forms and hands on exploration is just as important as formal education.
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” ~Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You’ll Go!
Use: There comes a time in a child’s life when the results of their decisions will be on them. Hopefully, you’ve helped them get a good idea of risks, rewards, adventure and responsibility before then.
- “You’re off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!” ~Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You’ll Go!
Use: Well… go on then. Get out there and live!
Travel quotes combine a love of reading and travel. There are books about travel for kids of all ages. Older kids can be challenged to find what they feel are the best quotes about travel. No matter what your family size, ages or location, we hope you are able to get out and travel, whether it’s to your local hills for a bit of winter fun or on that beach adventure you’ve been dreaming about!
What are you favorite kid approved travel quotes? We’d love to hear them in the comment section below!